Sunday, August 3, 2014

practicing gratitude - DAY 1

I'm grateful for the way I could talk to my family on the phone today. Mel put it on speaker phone and it was her, my brother, and my mom in the car on the way home from visiting Grandma. We talked about Doug coming to visit and the silly nicknames that they had come up with for him.

My mom has this weird thing about making up nicknames for any of her children's significant others.
I get sincerely impressed with her creativity. The nicknames are most likely to be a hodgepodge of something or someone from her favorite soap opera, Days of Our Lives, combined with a physical trait of the boyfriend/girlfriend. Like it has become a veritable talent for her. She gets these really intense eyes  - squinty and teal and far away - when she's coming up with something because she's thinking so hard. She's a lot of fun.

I'm grateful for somebody telling me to lean in harder because there's no protecting yourself from the terrible feelings that happen when you lose someone, really lose someone (I think that feeling might be the most real feeling cuz it's the most "there's a bottom line" feeling) - soften lean into soften lean into soften lean into soften lean into soften lean into soften lean into soften lean into soften lean into soften lean into soften lean into soften lean into soften lean into soften lean into

coax a toe in and keep saying it

what the roots of the word "courage" actually mean: share your whole story with your whole self

"dress rehearsing tragedy doesn't protect you" - Brene Brown

Complicated relationships I used to think felt like a lack of wholeness. But that's not it. A lack of perfection yeah. But nobody wants perfection. Show me a perfectionist and I'll show you loneliness.

We want to sit across from each other and say honestly, yeah me too - and then smile, making our face skin swim with wrinkles and sagging -       maybe why we're here?  to be with each other

ser - to be - I am - here - to be - here- I am -     in now with you   >>>   woah

grateful for language - grateful for knowing that language doesn't cut it -

No comments:

Post a Comment